Saturday, October 22, 2011

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye!

So, after blogging about this move since March, departure day is almost upon us. The farewell parties are over, the boat is being dismantled little by little and my dreams about my cat Ocie are increasing. Yes, there’s where the five stages of grief are occurring…missing my furry friend tremendously!
It’s said that you never really know who your friends are until you die, but I think a major move like ours is also revealing. The goodbyes started in late May with a neighborhood farewell party; we’d lived in the Village of Bradfordwoods for 16 years but there’s been a lot of movement in that community in recent years. When we moved in it was a community of mostly retirees but in the past five or so years there have been more than a few young couples with small children moving in, changing the dynamics of the neighborhood.

Next up was a couple of farewell lunches from the two churches where we have been most active the past 18 years: Ascension Lutheran Church on Peebles Road and Trinity Church of the Deaf in Wilkinsburg. Both of those congregations were family to us and the goodbyes were hard. We both appreciated the opportunity to serve our Lord in those congregations and now we look forward to where He will place us next. Bill, of course, is eager to find a church that has quality organ music and a good choir!

Our places of employment also acknowledged our imminent departure. Bill’s co-workers at Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania held a small lunch for us at Del’s, an Italian family restaurant in Bloomfield, acknowledging his 7+ years there. Communefx, where I’ve worked for 23 years (coincidentally having started there this very same week in 1988), hosted a happy hour at Uno’s in Cranberry Township this past week. While any excuse for a company-sponsored party is welcomed, I was touched that more than a few of my co-workers were sad that I would not physically be in the office for the majority of the time.
I do plan to return to Pittsburgh monthly and already have my tickets reserved for December. Although I am as prepared as possible technologically, including video-conferencing, I am already missing the 40-minute morning commute listening to K-LOVE and being in the office on a daily basis. But the associates for whom I am directly responsible are also the most senior in longevity with the company; they are well positioned to be supervised virtually!

I was also touched that one of my clients came to the office farewell and one of my local vendors stopped by on Friday with a gift. I’ve known both for nearly 25 years...such good people! Love you all!

1 comment: