Saturday, February 11, 2012

2011 Flashback: Not Again!

Heading home today from my bi-weekly visit to the local library I took a detour through a neighborhood just to familiarize myself with the area. All the streets were named after fairy tale, nursery rhyme or Disney movie characters. There was Cinderella Street, Snow White, Peter Pan, Bambi, Mother Goose, Tom Thumb, Boy Blue, Londonbridge and several others. I thought, how odd to have a “storybook” address.

Then I pondered the “storybook” life that some people seem to have. Everything just falls into place no matter what. Given the rollercoaster ride with my company over the past two decades, some may feel I've enjoyed a happy ending each time. I guess it depends on one's definition of "happy" but I've almost always looked forward to going to work each day no matter the challenges that awaited.

For several months there’s been a lot of turmoil and angst at Communefx, as upper management worked through the details of being acquired by another agency and made in/out decisions about the fates of 80+ co-workers on our campuses in Pittsburgh, Phoenix and Louisville. Many of my co-workers of just a few years, and some of 10, 15 or 20 years, will not be part of the acquisition. The survivors will struggle with equal measures of relief and guilt, but since we all know that things can still turn on a dime, add a heaping dose of continued anxiety to our states of mind too.

For the past several weeks I’ve slept fitfully, tossed and turned, struggled with 2 a.m. panic attacks and then tried to remain upbeat and positive during the day. Finally, after landing in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night and checking in to the hotel, I gave it up. I lay in bed and asked God not that I would keep my job but to give me the courage to be gracious in the face of loss. I asked for re-assurance that He is in control no matter what happens.

At a company meeting in Pittsburgh on Wednesday the new organization chart was revealed. I’ve made the cut. Then, it was on to another flight the next day to meet my new bosses and co-workers in Norwalk, CT. As I sat in their company meeting I had a déjà vu flashback to a year ago. This same week in 2011, I was in Louisville, KY, again sitting in another company’s meeting witnessing the deconstruction of that company in order to acquire part of it. This week it was Communefx being deconstructed for acquisition.

There’s still a lot to be worked out, new personalities to get to know, a different corporate culture to assimilate. But the constant that remains is the One I can turn to, giving thanks in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment