Sunday, October 14, 2012

Along for the Ride


It’s been a while since I’ve felt inspired to blog. I suppose part of the reason is the time I’m spending coming to grips with a sudden lack of full-time employment and adjusting to a slower pace by filling my time with morning walks. I’ve been very fortunate to find freelance work reporting for our local community newspaper and the assignments have been varied, from sports (sailing, tennis, gymnastics and running) to hair salons, home décor trunk shows and adoptions. My first bylined article ran in October (along with a business profile and two photo ops) and the typo under my name in the article is not mine!

Whee! Whee-whee-whee! This weekend I had a little passenger on my car, who hitched a ride on the windshield wipers from the marina to the grocery store to the bank and back to the marina. At each stop the tiny lizard would peer up over the wiper, look around and decide “Nope, not home!” 


After over an hour of patiently waiting as I ran my errands, this little guy hopped off once safely back at the marina.


Sometimes in life we’re just along for the ride; other times we get to steer the course. At a time when most people would be looking forward to retirement I feel like I can finally take the wheel. I’m hoping to parlay this freelance business (Pure Grace Consulting) into enough work that I won’t have to let another company again do the driving. Last night at a party at our marina office manager’s home I met a woman who will be helpful in getting me contacts for editing and proofing work for Ph.D. candidates.

In the meantime, I'm letting go ... and letting God!

No comments:

Post a Comment