Sunday, November 11, 2012

Signing Up for Another Year

I actually meant to post a blog on November 2, the first anniversary of our arrival at the Marina at Ortega Landing, but I've been a little busy lately. How the tables have been turned from our respective statuses a year ago!

Then: I was telecommuting full-time, and Bill was taking care of everything: laundry, grocery shopping, Christmas shopping, cleaning (inside and out), and getting to know the area. I barely stepped out of the boat each day, and evenings often found me still at work. Bill was looking for work and not at all sure whether he would find anything.

Now: Bill is working full-time for the marina -- an lovin' it -- and I'm the one looking for full-time employment (maybe), and taking care of almost everything (I still resist waxing and washing the boat). I also spend a lot of time getting to know the area through my part-time reporting job and the long walks I take almost daily through the neighborhoods. And with some free time, I've been available to take on a project at our church and now serve as council recording secretary.

Who'd a thunk?

I ponder that had I lost my job much earlier in the year I would not have yet made friends with the newspaper's publisher that would result in this opportunity. The assignments range from photo coverage of 5K races, celebrity readings at the zoo, wine and food tastings at an art studio, an outdoor dinner in a park to business profiles (advertorials) of restaurants, jewelers, gift shops and salons. Most of the readership for this community paper are in the wealthier areas of Jacksonville. In Pittsburgh, it would be places like Fox Chapel, Sewickley, Edgeworth, Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair. Although my reporting gigs barely pay for my monthly COBRA health insurance payments, I'm creating a new network here. I guess you could say I'm putting down roots and the branches are starting to bud.

On the advice of our accountant I created a limited liability corporation and a former co-worker designed an elegant logo for me. Pure Grace Consulting is open for business -- anything that has to do with words. Writing, editing, proofreading, fact checking. Check out the Facebook page, where I post writing samples.



So, I've signed up for another year of river living and waiting to see what new and exciting things God will put in my path. Who'd a thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment