Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Far Country


             I’ve read somewhere – or heard it said – that there’s really no new story to be written, that everything’s already been told. For example, Shakespeare supposedly took many of his ideas for his plays from the Bible. And don’t forget the countless number of popular books and movies are based on the “boy-meets-girl-loses-girl-gets-girl-back” theme. It’s in the twist of the re-telling that can make a story resonate with the audience.
            A lot of my inspiration for blog posts comes from sermons. As I furiously take notes I can’t help but start thinking of the spin I’m going to add or the point that I’m going to take further.
This morning’s sermon on “The Greatest Short Story Ever Told” (Luke 15:11-32) – as opposed to The Greatest Story Ever Told” (the entire Bible) – was a familiar one: The Prodigal Son.
            The minister prefaced his remarks with the note that this would be another one of those “squirmin’ sermons”. I’m not going to share his sermon word for word, but there was one part of it that really hit home: how the Prodigal Son got to the Far Country and then came back.
            There have been a few times in my life when I regretted making a particular decision. Most were non-moral decisions, like deciding not to study for my Master’s degree and, instead, choosing to start a career. There’s no direct guidance in the Bible for that. It’s those decisions that took me to the Far Country, however, that caused more than a little personal suffering. That’s the place I went when I stepped outside of God’s Will.
            How did I get to the Far Country? Although there were five steps that led to the Prodigal Son’s downfall – selfishness, haste, reckless wastefulness, leaving those to whom he was accountable, and making bad decisions – it only took one for me. While I could easily blame my youth – it was the period between age 17 and 25 – I know that some regrettable decisions I made were due to having separated myself from all my significant relationships. (You know, the ones that hold you accountable.)
            I’m not going to go into the details, but I allowed other people to put me in compromising situations that could tarnish my reputation. That was a time when God allowed me – a child of the faith – to head toward the bottom so that I got scared enough to want to go Home.
            The way back included these same steps that our pastor shared today: first, coming to my senses (my awakening); second, changing my mind about the direction I was headed (repentance); third, ceasing to make excuses for my lifestyle (honesty); fourth, making no deals with God (humility) and finally, taking the first step towards Home (resolve).
            I think it may have been that point in my life that I first embraced His grace – and have held on to it fiercely ever since. It’s no coincidence that our boat is called Pure Grace.
            If you, a child of God, have drifted away from Him – perhaps you have been deeply hurt by someone or defeated by personal failures or just made some wrong choices – come back. Here’s what awaits you, according to today’s message: your Father’s kiss of forgiveness; a robe of honor; a ring of authority, sandals of freedom and a feast of welcome.
            One last note: ignore the “older brother”. That is, for those who feel you aren’t worthy of the welcome, their selfishness is the first step into their own Far Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment