Sunday, April 24, 2011

In My Easter Bonnet...

Growing up in the late fifties/early sixties I remember when women and girls wore bonnets and pretty dresses, and the mothers all had corsages on Easter Sunday. The effect at church was like a garden, maybe similar to the garden where the two Marys went on that first Easter Sunday to mourn for their Lord.


A shout-out to my friend Michelle-ReneĆ© and her daughter Tasha, who were beautiful in their Easter hats this morning. Hats are Michelle-ReneĆ©’s signature, setting her apart from the crowd. Even though bonnets have, for the most part, gone by the wayside, it was still a big deal to get a new dress for Easter even as an adult. But I feel a little bit guilty today for wearing slacks – for a late Easter (the latest it can be on the church calendar), it was chilly and rainy today and somehow a sleeveless dress wasn’t going to cut it. Thankfully, God doesn’t care what we wear to church. He’s only interested in our hearts.

Strange to think this will be our last Easter in Pittsburgh and at the church we’ve called home since 1993. Thirty years is the longest either my husband or I have lived in one city, but pulling up these roots isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I think we have to thank technology for that – it’s so easy to keep in touch with friends and family all over the globe. A happy and blessed Easter to my globe-trotting friends Cathy and Charlie Kelly, celebrating Down Under.

1 comment:

  1. While I was on my way to work this morning, I heard the radio dj talking about his visit to church in New York City, and he explained that they did in fact have a sea of woman with hats so huge and stylish that he didn't quite know how they were still standing with all the weight on their heads! Haha. I guess in some parts, especially the fashion-forward, trendy metropolis we call NYC, hats on Easter are still the "It" thing. I think you would look quite lovely in a hat, Kate! :-)

    ReplyDelete