Friday, April 22, 2011

Not According to Plan

You may have heard the statement “If you want to make God laugh, show Him your plans.” And while He’s laughing we’re crying!

Given the day off in observance of Good Friday, I had many plans for the day here at home but instead I’m banished from the house for most of the day while the “mold man” treats the attic. It’s one of the few items on the long inspection punch list that we can’t fix ourselves, and for that I am blessed! Blessed because Bill knows how to make or repair just about anything, blessed because he has the health and energy to undertake these projects, and blessed because he is willing to do so.

But the flip side of that coin is that it never ends! If all had gone according to our plan, I would be spending the weekend packing in preparation for the move to our summer home on the boat and Bill would be putting the coat of anti-fouling paint on the hull. The unrelenting rain and chilly weekends this month put the kibosh on boat work. The termination of the sale agreement postponed the frantic need to sort and pack and contact moving companies. And I can’t do much needed house cleaning while mold spores are being sucked out of the attic today. I think I hear God giggling.



But the house will sell at the right time, Bill will have a good sunny day to finish prepping the boat, we’ll pack and store not a moment too soon and life will go on, more or less according to plan.

I firmly believe, and take comfort in knowing, that God’s plans are better, bigger, more exciting and more expansive than my plans. One of my favorite verses (which also happens to be my niece Shannon Wetzel’s confirmation verse) is from the prophet Jeremiah: “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

I know God is smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment