Monday, May 30, 2011

And Done!

First, the backstory. Eleven years ago we ripped down our 10 x 34 deck...right down to the I-beam. We replaced it with a slightly larger footprint (12 x 34) and erected a roof over half the deck, complete with three skylights and the homeowner association-approved cedar shake shingles. And, I do literally mean "we". There were only two things we had to contract out: an architect to provide plans for the deck roof and a welder to add reinforcement to the I-beam to support the roof. After it was finished (and I can't remember just how many weekends we worked on it, but it was at least 12), we ordered wicker furniture from North Carolina and enjoyed it for many, many summers thereafter.

Two years later the association had all the townhome roofs replaced with dimensional asphalt shingles, but "grandfathering" our roof for its life. We thought for sure that we wouldn't have to get out on that roof  again in our tenure here! Unfortunately it was a sticking point for the sale of the townhome; the buyers wanted the deck roof re-shingled. They got an estimate and asked for a $1300 credit on the sale price. We priced out the shingles and knew we could save $1,000 if we did it ourselves.

So, on the Friday afternoon before Memorial Day we started pulling off the shake...the perfectly good shake, I might add! The next step was to clean up the surface, removing old felt paper, nails and staples.

All the new shingles and felt paper were staged in our bedroom and passed out through the windows. We had sold both of our long ladders so there was no other way to get 640 pounds of shingle up to the deck roof except up two flights of stairs!

By noon on Saturday Bill was ready to start laying shingles, working from the bottom of the 17 x 12 roof up toward the house. By quittin' time it was about 45% complete.

On Sunday Bill pushed himself to finish it so that we could salvage part of the holiday weekend and spend the night on the boat. The last hour was an effort...the temperature was pushing 90...and his cigar was just a stub. Finally, after 22 man hours of hot work ... voila!

Here's hoping the garbage man doesn't keep on going after he sees this:


Our buyers' last requested action item to close the inspection contingency is finished. The wicker furniture has been sold. And done!

1 comment:

  1. My OH my! I just cannot imagine even having the mental or (possibly physical) capacity to complete such a task. Want to fly out to Wisconsin and re-do our roof?? :) I'm serious actually. The roofers are going to be charging us about $4,000, and I would ABSOLUTELY get right on up there and do it with you guys myself if we could save some of that dough; a lot of which I will be writing a check for out of my Mom's checking account even though she isn't really going to be around for a nice new roof. Anyway, you two always impress me with the handy dandy tricks you have up your sleeves. Bill: Teach me something! LOL. CONGRATULATIONS on selling the home, and moving onto your amazingly cozy boat filled with so many memories already. I cannot wait to see you both upon arriving back in the 'burgh. I could use some good Bill&Kate company. Talk soon. PS: in regards to the other two posts about the creative adaptations to making life on the boat, I'm also thoroughly impressed and look forward to seeing it all in person! I'm going to take some tips from you two when we move to our new home in Cleveland! Big HUG to you both~

    ReplyDelete