Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Season of Patience

My family has always loved games and many were the camping trips where we hauled out the Tripoley® box. Christmas get-togethers found us playing a variety of Trivial Pursuit® editions and lately it’s been dominoes for a game of Chicken Foot or Mexican Train. I think we can thank our father for this common love of friendly competition. How well my sisters and I remember monthly Friday night poker games in a round robin of aunts and uncles homes where we’re just sure that Dad was betting with our weekly allowance. Or perhaps, more accurately, attempting to win it!

A year or two ago my sister Beth got me hooked on an online game of Patience, a type of solitaire. I can’t tell you how many hands I’ve played but I know I’ve only won the game twice. Yet I keep going back for what should really be called a game of frustration.

I will be the first to admit that I’m short on patience. And I can’t blame it on this age of technology as I’ve been this way since I was a child. Ashamedly, I recall times when my classmates frustrated me because they just didn’t get it … whether it was reading, or math, or any subject in which I was already a chapter ahead of everyone else.

Hopefully I’ve gotten better at being patient with others, but I’m still impatient with progression. I have to remind myself often that God is in control and that it will all work out in and at the right time. In the New Testament book of James (one of my favorites), he gives us the example of a farmer, patiently waiting for rain and sun to grow his crops and then the right time of autumn to harvest them. You cannot hurry nature.

So, as we wait to hear whether our potential buyers will accept the results of yet another home inspection…as we wait for sunny days to spend on Pure Grace…as we wait for the time to take another trip to visit a few more cities…as we wait for first a little move and then the big move…I pray that I have the patience to savor the end of this chapter before rushing into the next one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment